We are happy to announce that spectators will be allowed at this year’s Discraft Ledgestone Insurance Open presented by GRIPeq. In line with Phase 2 of the DGPT's plan, we are moving forward with plans with certain spectator restrictions, which could be modified before the event. Final guidelines will be announced a few weeks before the event. The tournament has worked closely with local officials, the PDGA Medical Committee, event staff, and other advisors to craft an in-depth COVID-19 plan that aims to keep everyone involved in the event as safe as possible. “The conversations with our local officials have shifted from, can we host the event so let’s see if we can safely have spectators attend the event,” said Ledgestone TD Nate Heinold. With Illinois recently moving into Phase 4 of their reopening guidelines, and with outdoor sporting events naturally set up to allow for social distancing, the event will proceed with an altered plan for spectators. Illinois’ Phase 4 guidelines allow spectators at 20% capacity for outdoor seated events, which is the closest equivalent to disc golf. While the tournament is not doing a blanket rule of 20% for all courses (that is the maximum being allowed, with some courses not allowing spectators at all), this updated news should be a welcome announcement.
The tournament’s general rule will be that only players (who are playing that course), staff, volunteers, and media will be allowed at all 8 tournament courses with the following exceptions:
- One caddy will be allowed for each player. Caddies need to be family, a co-worker, or someone the player has been socially distancing with or is in the player's travel bubble. The caddy won’t be required to physically carry the bag.
- Spectators will be allowed at Sunset Hills on holes 1-12 and 16-18. The limit will be 300 people at the course at any one point in time.
- VIP pass holders will be allowed at Northwood Park on Thursday/Friday. No other spectators will be allowed as of this article’s print date. Depending on further guidance, it’s possible we will allow additional spectators at Northwood. The maximum number of people that will be allowed in the park is 250 at any one point in time. VIP holders are the only ones guaranteed entry into Northwood on these two days.
- A limited number of spectators will be allowed at Lake Eureka Temp on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. There will be a limit of 500 people in the park at any point in time, with preference given to VIP pass holders. Holes 2 through 4 and 9 through 11 are off-limits to spectators.
- Spectators must stay 30’ from players/caddies at all times. The maximum group size on any one hole will be 40 people.
- We will be monitoring these three courses/venues to ensure spectators maintain social distancing and do not bunch into groups.
- Because of our inability to staff and monitor the other courses, spectators will not be allowed at other venues.
VIP passes can be purchased at this site: dgscene.com/ledgepark
Additional spectator guidelines will be emailed and posted before the event. The 10th Annual Ledgestone event will take place August 13th through the 16th in Central Illinois.